Breakfast pastries are usually synonymous with high fat and loads of sugar.
But dang it...don't they always look so enticing behind that glass case in the coffee shop?! Sometimes you just want that sweet treat with your cup of coffee - hold the 10 lbs of sugar.
These Blueberry Lemon Protein Scones are the perfect alternative to feed your cravings for breakfast pastries! Bursting with lemon and fresh blueberries, I bet these will rival any scones you'll find in your local coffee shop.
One of my absolute favorite flavors of protein powder recently has been the Lemon Cake Pea Protein from True Nutrition. I'd been trying to come up with a good recipe to use it in and these scones seemed like the perfect match. Plus, you can't go wrong with freshly zested lemons and juicy blueberries!
Blueberry Lemon Protein Scones
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 17-20 minutes
Servings: 8 scones
- 3/4 cup Lemon Cake Pea Protein (3 scoops) ** Any lemon flavored or vanilla flavored pea protein would work here as well!
- 1-1/4 cup gluten free flour blend (I use Bob's 1-to-1)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 2 tbsp melt butter
- 1/2 c Greek yogurt, nonfat
- 1/2 c + 2 tbsp non-dairy milk (cashew, almond, soy, etc)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 c fresh blueberries
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl combine your dry ingredients: pea protein, flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and coconut palm sugar, whisking to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine all remaining ingredients, except for the blueberries. Stir to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until a dough is formed. Fold the blueberries into the dough gently, ensuring the blueberries are mixed evenly throughout.
- Form the dough into a round disk, about 10" in diameter, on your parchment paper lined baking sheet. Slice into 8 equal parts and separate slightly before baking.
- Place in oven to bake for 17-20 minutes. Test the scones by inserting a toothpick into the center - they are baked completely when it comes out clean. Serve immediately or allow to cool completely and store in an air tight container for later.
Nutritional Information (1 scone):
175 calories - 12 g Protein, 24 g Carbohydrates, 3.5 g Fat