We all have that one recipe we cling to; the one we know like the back of our hand and can make with our eyes closed. For me, it is guacamole. For as long as I can remember, guacamole has been "my thing". Growing up, I was always in charge of making the guacamole. I took pride in teaching my younger sister how to make guacamole. I love making guacamole so much that at the age of 10, I asked for a molcajete (volcanic rock mortar and pestle).
One of my staple snacks to enjoy while watching football is guacamole. Its so delicious, easy to make and a huge crowd pleaser.
Everyone has their own preference on how they enjoy their guacamole. Chunky or creamy? Spicy or mild? Simple or complex?
I believe my guac is the perfect balance of all these qualities, making it the best you'll ever taste! Also, my secret touch: cumin.
Consistency is number one on my list for making the best guacamole. I have my method of scoring and then scooping the avocado in chunks to preserve a nice consistency. I love texture in my guac!
Usually guacamole is served with tortilla chips - not the healthiest option! Instead, try serving yours up with carrots, broccoli and peppers. You still get a nice crunch but without the added fat.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 2 avocados (roughly 10 oz of avocado)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 roma tomato
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1-2 tbsp jalapeno, chopped (optional - depends on how spicy you want this!)
- Start by preparing your avocados. I do this by cutting them in half and removed my pit. Next, I score the halves length-wise and width-wise which creates small cubes. Scoop avocado from skin, which will leave you with many small pre-cut cubes of avocado, into a medium mix big bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to mixing bowl and mash all ingredients together. Continue mixing until all ingredients are well incorporated, but chunky consistency is still kept. Serve with fresh vegetables or tortilla chips.
Nutritional Information (1 serving)
70 calories - 1 g Protein, 4 g Carbohydrates, 5.5 g Fat