I've never been a huge fan of coleslaw. First off, I don't really like mayonnaise all that much and secondly, it usually doesn't have any sort of texture - basically a creamy, mushy mess. Some people dig it...I am not one of those people. I DO however LOVE this Crunchy Asian Slaw!
In my opinion, vinegar based coleslaw is far superior to mayonnaise based. I also think having a crunch and texture to your coleslaw makes a world of difference. The combination of red cabbage, napa cabbage, carrots and scallions with a dressing made from rice vinegar, sesame oil and lime juice is my definition of a good slaw.
This slaw is fantastic just on its own OR you could served it as a side with my Seared Ahi Tuna. Need a bright and colorful dish to bring to a party or friend's barbecue? This is a great option! Its quick and easy. I love meals like this because they are delicious, filling and still an excellent healthy meal choice. Could you say the same after eating your traditional mayo-based coleslaw?
Crunchy Asian Slaw
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 5 cups
For the slaw:
- Red cabbage, 3.5 cups shredded
- Napa cabbage, 1.5 cups shredded
- Carrots,1 cup shredded
- Scallions, 3 sliced
- Cilantro, 1/4 cup chopped
- Sesame seeds, optional for garnish
For the dressing:
- Lime, 1 oz juiced
- Sesame oil, 1 tbsp
- Rice Vinegar, 2 tbsp
- Coconut Aminos, 1 tbsp (you could sub for soy sauce if you don't have coconut aminos)
- Sunflower butter, 1 tbsp (you could sub almond or peanut butter here as well)
- Ginger, 1/2 tsp grated
- Garlic, 1/4 tsp chopped
- Mix together ingredients for the dressing.
- Combine all ingredients for the slaw (except for sesame seeds) in a large mixing bowl and toss with the dressing. Plate and garnish with sesame seeds.
Nutritional info (1 serving, approximately 1 cup)
85 Calories - 2 g Protein, 9 g Carbs, 4.5 g Fat