While the start to summer isn't technically for another month, Memorial Day always seems like the "unofficial start" to me. I'm also lucky enough to be heading to Mexico tomorrow morning (WOO!!) so I'm definitely feeling the itch for summertime. This dish certainly gets me in the mood for some warm summer weather!
I love the bright contrasting colors of this dish. It is served chilled and is light and flavorful. It could be served up on its own, on top of a bed of lettuce or with some tortilla chips, eaten like a salsa. I think this would be a great dish to bring to a summer cook out or pool party.
This is so incredibly simple to make. I love it because you can either make it the night before (which I recommend to really let the flavors intensify) or if you are in a time crunch it can be made in only 15 minutes!
You start by combining raw shrimp with a bit of coconut oil, lime juice and chili powder. While letting it sit to marinate, I chop up all the other ingredients - mango, red bell pepper, red onion and LOTS of cilantro! Throw the shrimp into a skillet over medium high heat to cook. This only takes 3-4 minutes so keep an eye on those shrimp. Continue to stir as they cook and once they are all pink remove from heat.
Transfer shrimp from skillet to a large mixing bowl to cool, draining off the excess liquid. In a blender you combine remaining lime juice, cilantro, garlic cloves and salt to create the dressing for the salad.
Give the shrimp a quick chop to cut into bite sized pieces. Combine with mangos, peppers, red onion and cilantro-lime dressing. Give this a good mix and you are all finished! Easy as that!
Like I mentioned previously, the flavors are really best if you are able to chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before eating. Eat this by itself or if you have leftovers (like I did) you can get creative and make shrimp tacos!
Mango Lime Shrimp
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3 limes, juiced (divided - 1 lime for shrimp, 2 limes for cilantro-lime dressing)
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup mango, chopped
- 2/3 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, loosely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix shrimp with juice of 1 lime, melted coconut oil and chili powder. Set aside to marinate.
- Chop red onion, mango and red bell pepper while the shrimp is marinating.
- Over medium high heat, cook shrimp in a skillet for 3-4 minutes. They will cook up very quickly so be sure to remove from heat once they have turned pink. Transfer to a bowl to cool, draining the liquid from the shrimp and discarding.
- While the shrimp are cooling, in a blender combine the remaining juice of 2 limes, cilantro, garlic and salt. Blend until combine and the cilantro has been chopped.
- Give the cooled shrimp a rough chop to cut into smaller pieces. Combine shrimp with mango, red bell pepper, red onion and mix. Pour cilantro-lime dressing over top and stir to combine.
- Transfer mango shrimp to refrigerator to continue cooling and to allow flavors to intensify (recommended) or can be eaten immediately warm.
Nutritional info (1 serving, approximately 1 cup)
187 Calories - 23.7 g Protein, 12.7 g Carbs, 4.6 g Fat