For my family and I, Christmas isn't complete without Mimi's Christmas cookies. We all know them and love them. Teatime Tessie's, Crescents, Acorns, and my personal favorite: Toffee Bars. Of course everyone also has their favorite cookie so we always had to make ALL the cookies...and lots of them!
Baking cookies was always a special time growing up as well - spending time with my Mimi, mom, aunts, cousins and sister in the kitchen. Our Mimi was the greatest woman ever and so many of my Christmas memories and traditions started with her. These cookies are very close to my heart <3
The recipe for these cookies is from 1961, or so says the recipe that we have written down from Mimi. In 1961 things were a bit different with baking...yes, these cookies in their original form are not gluten-free (gasp!). I took a gamble and tweaked the recipe this year and I'm happy to report my successes! In addition to making these gluten-free, I also reduced the butter and cut out the refined sugar.
These cookies are really fun and easy to make. After baking the sheet of cookies you pile on chocolate pieces, allow them to melt on the warm from the oven cookie, and then spread that smooth chocolate all across.
The final touch is a sprinkle of pecans. While the chocolate is still warm you will need to cut the cookies before allowing them to cool. You slice long strips (vertically) followed by cutting on the diagonal, making diamond shaped cookies.
These cookies have just the right amount of crispy crunch to them with a punch of dark chocolate and pecans.
Mimi's Toffee Bars
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 18-20 minutes
Servings: Approximately 40 cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- Dash of salt
- 6 oz dark chocolate (around 62% cacao - not too dark like 90% or else it could be too bitter)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Cookie sheet with sides (10x15 in)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a mixing bowl) combine the butter, Greek yogurt, sugar, vanilla, egg, baking flour and salt. Mix on medium high until well incorporated. Spread into un-greased cookie sheet, ensuring the cookie batter is smooth and level within the sheet.
- Bake until the cookie rises and falls, resulting in a smooth cookie all the way across. This takes approximately 18-20 minutes - be sure to watch your edges! You don't want your cookie to burn. While the cookie is baking break your chocolate bars into small pieces and chop the pecans.
- Once the cookie has finished baking, remove from oven and lay chocolate over the top, spacing evenly and covering the cookie. Allow to sit for a minute or two before spreading the chocolate evenly across the top. Sprinkle with pecans. While the cookie is still warm cut straight long strips vertically (about 5 or 6 strips) followed by cuts on the diagonal, making diamond shaped cookies.
- Allow the cookie to continue cooling before removing from the pan. This will take a few hours. I suggest making these the day before you plan on eating them and allowing them to cool overnight (or bake in the morning if you plan on serving that evening). You want to allow the chocolate to set and harden before enjoying!
Nutritional Information (1 cookie, based on approximately 40 total cookies)
85 calories - 1 g protein, 9.4 g carbohydrates, 4.8 g fat