In just ONE WEEK, I am jumping on a plane and flying to Japan to visit my bestie!! I will be taking a 3 week long vacation and traveling through Japan, Thailand and a quick stop in Beijing to see the Great Wall of China.
I AM EXCITED!
To be honest, I can't decide where I'm most excited to travel to. It changes daily - that is no exaggeration.
I get excited about the fact we are spending a day with elephants in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Then I quickly remember we will be visiting the snow monkeys of Japan (in case you didn't know, I LOVE monkeys) and Japan jumps to a lead. But I can't overlook the fact that we will be hiking along the Great Wall, in both restored and unrestored portions. HOW IS A GAL TO CHOOSE?!
My itinerary, in case you'd like to follow along and live vicariously through me, is as follows:
- April 27-28: Tokyo, Japan
- April 29: Bangkok, Thailand
- April 30 - May 1: Chiang Mai, Thailand
- May 2-3: Krabi, Thailand
- May 4: Bangkok, Thailand
- May 5-8: Beijing, China
- May 9: Tokyo, Japan
- May 10-11: Kyoto, Japan
- May 12-16: Tokyo, Japan
Above all else, I can't ignore the fact that I just love food and this entire trip is sure to be the most amazing culinary experience.
In Bangkok, we are taking a half day cooking class. Before I learn the traditional way of Thai cooking, I flexed my culinary muscles with this recipe to celebrate my trip. Thai basil dishes are always my favorite when I eat Thai food. I love the element of flavor the basil adds to the dish. Asian food can often be thought of as heavy and filling as they are normally accompanied with rice or noodles. These lettuce wraps are such a delicious and healthy option, all while enjoying the same amazing Thai flavors.
These lettuce wraps are so easy to make! They are great for lunch or dinner, but also make for the perfect entertaining dish. Serve these to your next party and it is sure to be a hit.
Thai Basil Pork Lettuce Wraps
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño, chopped (add more or less depending on your desired spiciness level!)
- 1/4 c onion, chopped
- 1/2 c basil leaves, roughly torn
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- Butter lettuce, leaves washed and separated
- Shredded carrots
- Green onions, sliced
- Fresh basil
- Begin by chopping all ingredients and making your sauce. In a small bowl combine soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and coconut sugar. Stir well and set aside.
- In a pan over medium high heat, add coconut oil, garlic, jalapeños and onion. Sauté until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add ground pork and continue to cook until browned, an additional 3 minutes. Be sure to continually mix the pork, onions and peppers so that the meat doesn't stick to the pan.
- Once the pork has cooked, add the torn basil and sauce. Allow the sauce to reduce some, cooking for an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer pork to a serving dish. Assemble lettuce wraps with butter lettuce, pork, shredded carrots, green onion and more fresh basil!
Nutritional Information (1 serving):
185 calories - 21 g Protein, 5 g Carbohydrates, 9 g Fat