Rarely do I ever eat granola or oatmeal, for that matter. I don't see it as a health food as most store-bought brands are loaded with sugar. No thank you!
Recently, however, I've seen more and more Instagram posts on homemade granola and I got a hankering for some! I'd never ventured to make my OWN granola. Truthfully, the thought never even crossed my mind. But I found myself with a serious craving for some and set out to make a healthier alternative to what you find on the shelves of your supermarket. First step: obtain oats.
The inspiration for this granola came from my Custom Oatmeal Mix I'd gotten a while back from True Nutrition, Chai Latte flavored. Remember, I rarely eat oatmeal so I hadn't really made a dent in this mix.
I then thought about when I would eat granola and most likely it would be after a workout, meaning I would also prefer some protein. This recipe includes both oats AND whey protein from True Nutrition. Talk about one-stop-shopping for your ingredients! (Pssst...remember you can save 5% off your order when you use the code 'MYENG' at True Nutrition)
This granola is surprisingly easy to make! On top of that, it is a much better option than what you find store bought. The only sweetener is pure maple syrup and the sweetness that comes from the vanilla whey protein. This granola is definitely going to become one of my go-to post-workout snacks...I hope you do the same!
Vanilla Chai Protein Granola
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 8 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats, original or gluten free oats
- Optional: You can make your own Custom Oatmeal Mix with True Nutrition! You can omit the Chai Spice Mix below if you opt to use the 'Chai Latte' Custom Oats.
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup almonds, raw/unroasted
- 2 scoops True Nutrition Vanilla Whey Protein (1/2 cup, 60 g)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp water
- Chai Spice Mix:
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare baking sheet by lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine oats, coconut flakes, almonds and Chai Spice Mix. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the maple syrup, vanilla extract and coconut oil. Stir until the coconut oil has melted. Turn off heat and add protein powder, mixing continuously until incorporated. It is important to make sure you turn OFF the heat before adding the protein as to not over cook it and make the mixture too dry. Add 1 tablespoon of water to thin mixture.
- Pour wet mixture into mixing bowl with dry. Stir with spatula until the oat mixture is covered with the wet mixture, ensuring no clumps have formed.
- Dump mixture onto baking sheet and spread into a single layer. Place into oven.
- Bake for 35 minutes. To ensure an even toasting, give granola a stir every 10 minutes or so the oats do not burn. Once granola is golden brown remove from oven and allow to cool before eating and/or storing. Granola keeps well for a week if stored in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.
Nutritional Information (1 serving, 1/2 cup):
215 calories - 11 g Protein, 23 g Carbohydrates, 9 g Fat